Trafalgar & The Common

Barnes Mews 2000-02
Designed by ML Design Group, built by Belmont Homes. Constructed on the former King & Barnes Brewery site. HDC.

Brook Court, Redford Avenue 2003-05
Built for Raglan Housing Association, designed by Johnson & Partners. HDC.

Blunts Way & Cedar Close 1957-62
Davis Homes Ltd, HMLR 13/02/1957 Blunts Way was officially named on 31/10/1958 by HDC. WSCT. 

Collingwood Road 1963-65
Shove & Morriss Ltd, Wembley. HMLR 15/10/1963. Shove & Morriss built a lot of homes within the Mid Sussex Region including Barrowfield in Cuckfield which dates from the same time as Collingwood Road. 

Collingwood Close
Federated Homes

Copperfields Place 1970-72
Designed by John C. Scrivener ARICS, Ashstead. Built for a resident who lived at No.99 Swindon Road. The model of house was nicknamed the Bristol Town House. WSRO. If bought new then the regency style 3 bed would have been £12,750. WSCT 07/09/1973. 


Churchill Avenue 1948-52
Built by Davis. This road was a political debate due to the fact the street had been named after a living politician. Churchill was still alive when the road was named therefore this caused a discussion with councillors over the name. Even though five councillors rejected the idea, the name was approved. WSCT 04/07/1952. Churchill Avenue was the last of the Davis estate houses off Greenway to be completed, before the start of the Coots Farm Estate in 1955.  


Eyles Close

Farthings Walk
Built by Berkeley Homes Ltd. HMLR 30/12/1998. Extension to Farthings Walk HMLR 03/06/2008. 

Fishers Court 1985-87
Built by Brookfield. WSCT 03/04/1987

Firs Close
Designed by Pope Priestly Architects (Southampton). Built by Crest Nicholson Ltd, Addlestone. HMLR 19/12/2013.

Greenway 1935-39 
Built by Davis. Greenway has played an important part in Horsham’s history with the school and the establishment of the Davis estate. It sits at the heart of the 1930s and borders the 1950s extension. The road itself was officially named Greenway in WSCT 31/05/1935. Almost all the houses were completed before World War 2 but a few were built afterwards. Greenway is a typical name of the 1930s with the idea of aspiring young families looking over countryside, hence the name. 

Gladstone Road 1882-90 
Laying out of the road in 1882. Houses were built as pairs of individually by Potter Bros from 1882-88. 2 cottages were added in 1890 by D. Nightingale. Named after William Ewart Gladstone the UK’s Prime minister from 1868 to 1874. Why the road was named during this period of government is another. Hence this is why Gladstone bags are named. 

Hamilton Road 1960-62
Built by Charles Beamish (Crawley) Ltd. 

Hardy Close (Nos. 2-4) 1998-99
Designed by Town Planning & Development, built by Farren Court Homes (Cowfold). HDC.

Hill Mead 1951-54
Built by Davis Estates Ltd. Road named by HDC 02/04/1954. WSCT.

Hills Place 1987-89
Built by Highcross for West of England Homes. WSCT 06/10/1989.

Hurst Park 2003-05
Designed by BCA Architects (Woking), built by Weybridge Construction. HDC.

Irwin Drive
Built by Croudace Homes Ltd. HMLR 21/04/1958.

Leggyfield Court 2008-11
Designed by The Tooley & Foster Partnership, built by Saxon Weald Homes. HDC.

Kempshott Mews 2001-02
Designed by Jaye Ford Architects Ltd (Coolham), built by Newman Builders. HDC. 

Kings Gate 2000-02
Designed by ML Design Group, built by Belmont Homes. Constructed on the former King & Barnes Brewery site. HDC.

Kings Mews 1999-2001
Designed by Peter William Associates. Built by GWM Builders Ltd. HDC.

Merryfield Drive, The Platt, Cootes Avenue, Ryecroft Drive, Stubfield, Fairview & Caterways. 
Built by Davies Estates. Roads officially named by the HDC 02/04/1954. WSCT.

Milnwood Road (Nos. 7-11) 2009-11
Designed and built by Banner Homes. HDC.


Nelson Road 1876-

Parkfield 1963-66
Hawkins Developments (Property) Co. Ltd, HMLR 17/04/1964

Park Rise & Larch End 1954-56
Built by Davis Estates, HDC named them officially 27/07/1956. WSCT.

Parkside 1992-94
Designed by OSF Architects & Designers, built by Berkeley Homes. HMLR 20/01/1994.

Pines Ridge 2010-2012
Built by Rydon Homes. HDC.

Potters Place 1999-01
Designed by David Parker Architects and built by Banner Homes. HDC

Oaklands, Redford Avenue 2005-07
Built by ECL Residential Ltd. HDC.

Rookwood Park 1997-2000
Designed by OSF Architecture & Design. Built by Berkeley Homes Ltd. HMLR 28/11/1997

Saxon Crescent & Albery Close 1947-52 
The Spencers Estate was laid out after World War 2 as part of Horsham Urban District Councils house development scheme. Work started in 1947 and continued up until the early 50s when Saxon Crescent and Albery Close were completed. The first two homes to be completed are in Redford Avenue and featured in an article of the West Sussex County Times on Friday 21st January 1949 when HUDC visited and were proud of the site. Once the scheme was finished the new estate would cater up to 114 families who required new homes. The new houses were designed by HUDC surveyor Mr C.G. Atkinson and were meant to be built by Messrs T.J. Lovell & Sons. Sadly Lovell & Sons couldn’t fulfil their contract to Horsham Urban District Council. So, the estate was subcontracted out to other local builders.  

Spencers Park Estate 
The name Spencers Park is quite a misleading name as the name refers to the roads we now know as Kempshott, Swindon and Purton Roads. Thankfully for this estate we have several resources to look at to see about its original founding. We have two pages of planning registers, title deeds, layout plans and notes which have been given by residents.  

Our story begins with the purchasing of the land west of Trafalgar Road by Worthing based builder George Goodall, from Thomas Oliver who lived at Tanbridge House. He bought the land on 2nd October 1895 and paid the sum of £1788.2.6 for the two fields. One was called Barnfield descried as grass and the other as an arable plot. These fields had once been property of Spencers Farm situated north of both fields were Collingwood Road stands today.  

The plan was to split the fields up into parcels or building plots for the erection of new houses. Two new roads were cited which were to lead westwards towards Boldings Brook. A plan from the title deeds shows the layout of sewers which the council were ordered to lay. One issue that would rock development would be that both roads would cross the Horsham Urban District council boundary. This would cause issues as the council would have to work in partnership with Horsham Rural District council for the successful development of the roads. Having looked at newspapers from around the time it looks like that there was much debate overextending the boundary.  

According to Horsham’s planning register Swindon Road’s first houses were built and laid out by George Potter in 1896 at the junction of Trafalgar Road on the left-hand side. He then built another 14 semi-detached cottages in 1900. Development was slow and piecemeal suggesting that building plots were sold to individual developers. Plus, due to the boundary issue this might have put some buyers off. As one council might have different planning byelaws than the other.  

Kempshott Road started in 1896 with 2 cottages being erected by James Potter. In the same year P. Chasemore developed another pair. The list features new builds until 1904, so this suggests that Horsham Urban District Council had reached the boundary of building on their patch. The other properties developed were by William Potter, a long line of Horsham builders throughout the 19th century and 20th century.  

Purton Road was under the control of Horsham Rural District council and due to planning records, an index was not kept. So, it’s nearly impossible to plot when the road started its development. Having studied maps, it would have been laid out the time of Kempshott and Swindon. But no architectural plans survive for Purton Road in the archives, which is frustrating for the researcher. However, a sale particular from 20th May 1914 advertises the sale of No.1 Pralin Cottages, Purton Road. This property is now a hairdresser, but whether this is the year it was constructed remains to be seen.  

Spencers Road 1876-
Road dedicated by Horsham Vestry Committee on 05/04/1877 WSCT. The earliest houses were built in 1876 (Nos. 6-12) built as a set of four cottages, labelled "T". The next set were built in 1877 (Nos. 30-44) all given names (Spring Cottages, Summer Cottages etc). Nos. 58-68 were built around 1878-80. 

Spring Gardens (Nos.1-5) 2003-04
Designed by Brideck Ltd (Dorking), built by Ashdown Homes. HDC.

Sussex Lodge, North Parade 1985-87
Built by Brookfield. WSCT 06/03/1987

The Anchorage (Nos.1-2) 1993-94, Trafalgar Road 
Designed and built by Craneswood Development Ltd (Cranleigh). HDC. 



Trinity Court
Built by Roywood Homes (Crawley) Ltd. HDC. 

Tulip Court 1985-87
Built by Coastal Retirement Homes. WSCT 25/09/1987.

Wildgoose Drive
Designed by the Barton Willmore Partnership. Built by Linden Homes. HMLR 24/06/1994

Comments